Do I need to file a U.S. tax return

The United States reserves the right to tax its citizens on their worldwide incomes regardless of where they are residing at the time the money is earned. If you reside overseas you will still have to file a tax return if you meet certain income levels that depend on your filing status and age. If you live overseas you must file a return for 2016 if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the following table:


IF your filing status is. . . AND at the end of 2016
you were*. . .
THEN file a return if your gross income** was at least. . .
Single under 65 $10,350
65 or older $11,900
Head of household under 65 $13,350
65 or older $14,900
Married filing jointly*** under 65 (both spouses) $20,700
65 or older (one spouse) $21,950
65 or older (both spouses) $23,200
Married filing separately any age (if your spouse itemizes deductions) $4,050
Qualifying widow(er)
with dependent child
under 65 $16,650
65 or older $17,900